1920–1924 Bauhaus master
The artistic training of Max Krehan began in 1889 at the home family business in Dornburg near Weimar with a pottery apprenticeship. He already passed his journeyman’s examination in 1890 and travelled as an artisan for a number of years to places like Switzerland. After he returned home, he passed the master examination in 1900 and – together with his brother Karl – continued to operate the family business that was one of the last pottery workshops in the Weimar region at that time.
Starting in May 1920, he participated in the development and furnishing of the ceramics workshop of the Bauhaus, for which he was the workshop master for almost four years and worked together with Gerhard Marcks and Otto Lindig. During that same year, he started teaching at his own ceramics workshop. It was taken over by the Bauhaus Weimar in 1923 and operated until the start of 1924. Successful models and prototypes for the industrial production were made here.
- Klaus Weber (1989): Keramik und Bauhaus. Geschichte und Wirkungen der keramischen Werkstatt des Bauhauses, Berlin.
Main focus: Collaboration in setting up the ceramic workshop in the stables of the Dornburg castles
Main focus: Foreman (workshop manager)
More articles on the topic
Walter Gropius founded the Bauhaus in 1919 as a new type of art school that combined life, craft and art under one roof. Gropius managed the Bauhaus as its director until 1928.
Gropius appointed Josef Albers as a young master before he had even qualified as a journeyman. He was in charge of the preliminary course, where he formulated a pioneering approach to art education.